Sunday, March 22, 2009

This One is Hard...

I have a very sad little boy at my house. We had to get rid of our little dog, Kawai. He kept running away and had come close to getting run over WAY too many times. So, after much thought, consideration, and questioning what was "right" we gave him to a friend and her roommate. We feel so lucky to have him there because they truly treat him like he is their child and he gets to come visit us for a few hours every now and then. BUT...even though my little guy understands why we had to do this, his heart is broken. He. Is. Sad. Sooo....Sad! And, in turn, that makes me get a lump in my throat and silently shed some tears behind closed doors. What do you do when your little boy tells you that he feels like his arm has been cut off after his dog is gone? Do you take the dog back and risk him getting run over...or is it just one of those hard life lessons we have to learn when we're young that will make him appreciate and grow in his life? Sometimes I totally question what I am doing...Ready for the REAL heart clencher??? Here it is...

A Boy and His Dog...

What. Do. I. Do???

6 comments:

The Gonzales 'Ohana said...

Aw, Nikki. That is truly heart-wrenching and SUCH a hard, hard thing. My heart aches for all of you. We know how much you all love Kawai...me, too! I wish I had a good answer for you. Hang in there.

Jana said...

That is so sad... You did the right thing. It is better that he is in a good home then get hit by a car. Hopefully, time will make it better.
XOXO

Trish said...

The picture is heartbreaking. Although I am no animal lover, I do feel for your kids.

Nicole said...

Decisions like that are the reason it's so hard to be a parent. I'm sorry you guys had to make a tough one :(

The Neilson Family said...

Take the dog back!!!! That is so sad. I love having a dog and have always had one. This is a good lesson for the kids. They need to know that they need to take help in watching the dog. I am sure you have done that but if he is hurting bad enough maybe they will step it up. I am for the dog back in the family. I don't want him getting hurt either. I am sure you will do what is best!

6deans said...

How SAD is that...I can't imagine having to give our dog Diesel away. I truly feel your heart ache. I think I would have found a home like you did...it would definately be a lot worse for your kids to see him get hit by a car. I hope your family feels better soon...especially little TAI :(