Saturday, September 13, 2008

Losing It!!

It was a beautiful, crisp pre-fall day.  Everything was going so well and I was on top of things.  The laundry was almost done, the baby was sleeping, the bathrooms were scrubbed,  Malia had lunch on time (don't ask)...yes, for once I had things rolling and together!  I was feeling pretty good about myself.  Tai got home from school at about 1:15 and as he is walking home I am watching him, thinking that he needed to hustle to make it to piano lessons at Nikie Stookey's house in 15 minutes.  He comes in and we talk about the days events.  He has a snack, we chase our tiny dog as he is being stalked by a much larger dog.  So, in the midst of all this excitement, I forget piano (mind you, only a half an hour has passed).  Nikie calls, reminds me that Tai is 15 minutes late for piano and says she has some time at 3:00 and can he just come at then?  So I apologize and say yes...I will certainly have him there at 3.  I hang up the phone and the light turned off in my brain as I tell Tai, "Hey, why don't you call your buddy up the street and see if he wants to play since you don't have anything going on this afternoon?"  So, Tai calls his friend and they engage in some serious destruction of the play room along with another neighbor friend.  3:10 rolls around and the phone rings, I see Nikie's number flash across my caller ID... I panic, as I remember the 3:00 piano time.  Should I not answer the phone and pretend that my house is on fire, giving me good reason for not sending Tai over there or should I answer and pretend to be yelling at Tai to hurry up and get to piano now...thus blaming my poor kid.  No...I immediately answer the phone and say, "I am sending him."  Nikie forgives me (again), laughing a little more at the air floating around in my head.  I drag Tai away from his friends (the ones I TOLD HIM TO CALL) and send him out the door, leaving the friends to play alone in my playroom.  Does this sound like the beginning of someone with severe dementia?  Pretty soon I won't remember a thing and I'll be wandering around looking for my home.  So if you ever see me on the street with a dazed, confused look, just call Kione and tell him his wife is at it again and he needs to pick her up!  

2 comments:

Trish said...

The story of my life. I find myself downstairs wondering why on earth I went down there in the first place.....until I am in the bathroom again with NO toilet paper! That was waaaaay TMI!!!

Stookey Family said...

oh nik you are too funny. I was just laughing every time i had to call you, cuz i could see tai outside just chillen with no care in the world. I love teaching him by the way he is awesome.