Tuesday, September 2, 2008

To Tackle or Not To Tackle...


I am a paranoid mother. Ask anyone that knows me and they will tell you that I can certainly be a little over the top sometimes. I am a firm believer of car seats, jackets on cool mornings, orange juice for breakfast,veggies and fruit for lunch and dinner, bedtimes, hand sanitizer, helmets, and the list goes on. I am very big (okay, and kinda crazy) on safety. I am constantly yelling out the door to not do any more back flips on the tramp, stop playing with big sticks, or slow down on bikes. How my kids make it through my mothering at times, is a wonder to me. SO....you can only imagine the sheer panic when Kione and Tai announce to me back in August that it is time to sign up for tackle football. For a year now they have been threatening that the time is drawing nigh when my small, cute little boy will be wearing pads, a helmet, and jersey while being tackled to death. I begged, I pleaded, I stomped and I stormed, telling them both that this was not happening, too bad, so sad...I put my foot down and that was the end! Yeah, right, so I thought!!! I learned very quickly that when it comes to boys and their sports, you just don't interfere because you won't win. So... last Saturday was Tai's first TACKLE football game (I lost the fight.) For the last month he has practiced with his little team learning how to bash into other boys his age. Kione has reassured me that he is taking every precaution in teaching Tai how to tackle properly so my little guy won't get hurt. He even took on the feat of being an assistant coach. So there we were, the baby, the stroller, the diaper bag, the bag of snacks, and the two sisters accompanied by Grandpa and Uncle Troy...ready to see Tai conquer the game! The moment I saw the little guy with GONZALES spread across his back, my heart welled up with pride, yes, there he was ready to go. Then it happened, he got the ball, he was off and going, going, he did it! He scored a touchdown. The pride was overwhelming and I was cheering, "Go! Go!" And he did it again!! He scored two touchdowns!!! "Yes," I told the people sitting next to me, "that is my son"...as they were commenting on how great the little gonzales boy was. I almost, ALMOST, cried because I was so happy for how proud and happy he must have felt. But, at the risk of "embarassing" Tiare I held back. Anyway, next Saturday we will return for game two. I will be ready to cheer and ready to be proud no matter what happens!


3 comments:

Trish said...

I am not even a little bit shocked that Tai will be a star athlete. You can't go wrong with that cheering section.

The Gonzales 'Ohana said...

Hooray for Tai!!! You must be so, so proud! Of COURSE, he will be the STAR of his team...no doubt!:) He is quite the little athlete! Sure hope we can come see him play! Love you! (And totally loving your blog!)

Nicole said...

I'm a paranoid mom too but I just love to see my kids play sports - go Tai!